Sending manual emails
One of the key features of Jira Email This Issue is sending manual emails right from the Jira issue's screen.
To send a manual email, do either of the following:
- Click the Email button on the right side of the issue screen.
- Under More, choose the Email This Issue item from the menu.
- Press Q.
The email screen is where you can compose emails manually the following way:
- Set recipients (To, Cc, Bcc). Recipients can be users, roles, groups, custom fields, external email addresses and virtual users (e.g. project lead, watchers, assignee, reporter).
- Enter an email subject and email body.
- Add attachments to the email.
- Choose from predefined messages to add complex content to the email body.
On the right side of the email screen you can see the issue details on the right hand side for easy reference, therefore there is no need to open the issue in a separate tab of the browser.
While composing your email, you can set various email options. Click the Email options button on top to reveal or hide them on the right side panel of the screen.
You can compose an individual message in the editor or you can fill the email body with predefined content. Choose the predefined response from the drop-down list, and click Add Response for it to appear in the body.
To initialize the email body, you need to develop an email template first under Templates and when adding a new or editing and already existing Context, select it the Mail Body Initializer Template field. Read more about it here.
Progress bar should fully disappear before sending an email
When using Reply/ Reply all / Forward function to send emails containing large inline image(s) loading the Manual Email screen might take up to a few minutes depending on the inline image's size.
The email template used for formatting email is determined by the project and/or the type of the issue (via Contexts) and can be easily configured using the built-in template editor.
Contexts may be configured with multiple template categories. Templates from the selected categories are listed in the email screen. Emails are generated from the selected template.
Clicking the refresh button next to the Subject field regenerates the subject according to the template. Once clicked, the page will reload to display the content generated by using the selected template.
You can select the issue attachments you want to attach to the email either in the text editor, or in the Attachments field.
You can also add additional files to your email for your recipients to receive all necessary information in the Attach more files field.
The right hand side of the email screen shows the issue details including the comments visible to the current user. Comments may be quoted in the mail body with a single click.
Once you have composed your email recipients, subject, body and options, you can preview what the email will look like for the recipients.
To preview, click the Preview button at the bottom.
Email options are preset from the global defaults, but can be overridden using the Send & Remember settings button. These user preferences are reused next time you send emails.
If you choose, Send & Remember settings, the email recipient configuration is also stored and reused next time.
Jira Email This Issue for Server supports the execution of workflow transitions right after sending emails manually. To activate this feature, the Jira administrator must prepare the workflow.
Transitions marked by a transition property
jeti.on.send.email.transitionwith the value
- If no transitions are marked in the current status, no transitions are executed automatically.
- If only one transition is marked in the current status, this transition is executed automatically.
- If multiple transitions are marked in the current status, when sending the email a popup screen is shown to select the transition to be executed. Skip transitions by selecting Send Email Only.