This tutorial is to show how to setup customized event notifications.
Before you begin
This tutorial requires the following prerequisites to be met:
The Email This Issue add-on is installed in Jira. Read more here.
A license key is saved in Jira.
You have an SMTP server configured in Jira. Read more here.
Note: You must be a Jira administrator to be able to perform the following settings.
In order to be able to send out customized email templates, you need to do the following:
Create email templates for issue events.
Test your template settings (optional).
Configure notifications with issue events.
Associate the notifications with your projects and/or issue type.
Creating an email template
1. Go to OUTGOING EMAILS --> Email templates and click Add.
2. Choose from the following options:
Create from Themes
Create from JIRA Templates
3. Customize the template according to your needs. Use the field picker to add issue fields, custom fields, comments or issue linking information, and so on. Read more about email template customization here.
4. Click Save to save your template or Cancel to discard the draft.
5. If you want to create multiple email templates, repeat steps 1-4 as many times as needed.
Testing the template
1. Go to OUTGOING EMAILS --> Email templates and click Test next to the template of your choice. Read more about testing templates here.
2. Add the key of an existing issue.
3. (Optional): Enter some subject text and mail body.
4. Click Send to send out a test email right away to your email address, or click Preview to preview the email before clicking Send.
Configuring notification events
1. Go to OUTGOING EMAILS --> Notifications and click Add. Read more about event notification templates here.
2. Set a Name, Description, and an Event Processor for the notification template and click Add to proceed.
3. Click the three dots and choose Event notifications next to the template of your choice. Read more about adding event notifications to your event notification template here.
4. Click Add to add a New event notification.
5. Select an event type to associate with the event notification. This can be based on Issue Event Notifications or Service Management Customer Notifications. Fill out the fields to configure the notification event. Read more about it here.
6. Click Save.
7. To add multiple events, repeat steps 1-6 as many times as needed.
Associating notifications with your projects and/or issue type
1. Go to OUTGOING EMAILS --> Contexts and click Add. Read more about Contexts here.
2. Click Add to add a new context and fill out the fields as described here.
3. Click Save.
4. To add multiple contexts, repeat step 1-3 as many times as needed.