Incoming emails overview
Used for processing incoming mails, Create or Edit Jira issues with them.
Mail handlers process downloaded (fetched) emails from the inboxes configured under mail accounts. Every mail handler is linked to a mail account and defines the actions that should be executed when an incoming email is processed.
Incoming mail accounts are mailboxes from which Email This Issue can download and process emails.
Mail handlers are the components responsible for processing the downloaded emails, creating issues and comments, and for executing the actions configured in them. Email This Issue for Jira Cloud comes with a few different predefined mail handler types. All handlers can be fully and flexibly customized.
Rules and actions in the mail handler allow you to do various things with an issue depending email content or issue fields, for example:
- Save email recipients and senders in custom field
- Execute workflow transitions on the issues
- Send auto-reply emails
- 1.The mail handler checks Accept email. This can be used to filter messages in a mailbox if it has multiple email addresses (like mail aliases). By default, all messages are passed through, regardless of the recipient addresses.
- 1.If Accept email is set to if any recipient equals to any of the following addresses, then the email is processed if To/CC/BCC address equals to any of the specified email addresses.
- 2.If Accept email is set to if any recipient matches any of the following regular expressions then email is processed if To/CC/BCC address matches to any of the specified regular expressions
- 2.The mail handler searches for the user on whose behalf the actions will be executed, using the From address in the email:
- 1.If the user is found, then they will be used as the Reporter for creating issues, the Author for adding comments, the user who executes transitions, and so on.
- 2.If the user is not found, and Default reporter is set in the Mail Handler, the Default reporter will be used.
- 3.If the user is not found and Default reporter is not set, execution is aborted.
- 5.Actions are processed. Learn more about it here: Setting up rules and actions in the actions editor.
- 1.If an issue was found, it will be remembered, and some actions can use the issue such as Add comment, Execute transition, Send auto reply, and so on.
- 2.If issue was not found, then the first action that is executed is a Create Issue action.