Email notification schemes and email notifications
Email Notification Schemes are rules for send notification emails based on changes made to issues. Email This Issue Notification Schemes are similar to Jira Notification Schemes, but provide a lot more compared to standard Jira features.
- 1.Go to the Outgoing Mails configuration tab and select Email Notification Schemes under GENERAL CONFIGURATION to see the list of Notification Schemes.
- 2.Add a new notification scheme by clicking on the Add button.
- 3.Edit existing notification schemes by clicking on the three dots and choosing Edit.
The scope determines which issues this setting is applicable to. If there are multiple schemes, Email This Issue evaluates all of them and determines the one with the best matching scope for each specific issue.
The scope can be composed of:
- 0 or more projects
- 0 or more issue types
- an optional JQL filter query
To enter a JQL which involves a user name (such as defining the assignee of an issue), follow these steps:
- 1.Under the JQL Filter field, click Edit.
- 2.Enter the JQL.
- 3.When it comes to entering a user name, do the following:
- 1.Click Insert user.
- 2.Search for the user name, then click on Insert to insert a string.
- 4.Click Save to use the JQL or Cancel to delete it.
Email notification schemes are useless without email notifications. Email notifications are the rules for sending emails. They are defined by these aspects:
- Scope - WHEN
- Recipients - WHO
- Content Settings - WHAT
- Additional Settings
An Email notification scheme can contain multiple email notifications, even for the same event types. Email This Issue finds the best matching rule for an issue to send emails based on the events and filters set in the email notifications.
1. To see all email notifications added to a scheme, click the name of the notification scheme to expand and list notifications and their details:
2. To edit a notification, click the three dots next to a notification and choose edit:
1. Add a new notification by clicking on the three dots and choosing Add Email Notification.
2. Add events and filters to a notification in the Scope - WHEN tab of the Add Email Notification dialog.
The events and filters of an Email Notification determine when emails must be sent out for an issue. Scope - WHEN may be defined by the following fields:
3. Select recipients to a notification to receive the event notification emails in the Scope - WHO tab of the Add Email Notification dialog.
Emails can have To, Cc and Bcc recipients. For all of these recipient types you can enter or select:
- Users from Jira
- Email addresses
- Users related to the issue or project, such as:
- Project Lead
- Current User
- Project Roles
- User Groups
- Custom Fields, that hold email addresses or users or groups
4. Define the content of the notification in the Scope - WHAT tab of the Add Email Notification dialog.
5. Turn the following toggles on an off under the Additional Settings tab of the Add Email Notification dialog depending on your desired configuration:
- Include Own Changes: If the current user is a recipient, enable this option to send them a notification even if their profile setting is "My changes: do not notify me". If disabled, Email This Issue respects the profile setting.
- Add current comment to email body: If enabled, and there's a comment, it is added to the email body.